DENMARK is in WESTERN AUSTRALIA

We have now been in the south western area of Western Australia, near Albany, for a week. This area is justifiably famous for the richness and diversity of its unique flora. I had hoped to be able to post a photograph of the Yate (Eucalyptus Lehmannii) in its native habitat. We grow it in our garden and I have used it as an ikebana subject on a number of occasions. However, I have not been able to photograph any yet. In stead here is a selection of flowers I have spotted by the roadside.

Swamp Bottlebrush Beaufortia sparsa is like a bright red beacon along the roadside.





This is a splendidly large bush of the Showy Banksia Banksia speciosa.





I am afraid I have not been able to identify this banksia. The second photo includes my hand so that you can get a sense of the size of the flower.




There are many Kangaroo paws growing wild. This green one seems to be the most common in this area.





I was astonished to see this pelargonium (Pelargonium capitatum) growing in the sand dunes.





Below are two photos of the Albany woolly bush (Adenanthos sericeus) native to the area. It is often used as a green 'filler' by florists in the eastern states.





Unfortunately I have not had the opportunity to make an ikebana arrangement with any native flora as they are protected species in the wild. However on a walk I came across these belladonna lilies that had escaped from an old farm garden. I realised their colour would compliment this beautiful ceramic bowl by Graeme Wilkie. 


Here is an extended version of the work incorporating a second bowl.



And a final version on a low table.




If you click on the blue highlighted text you may see more photos of our travels: AROUND DENMARK in WESTERN AUSTRALIA.  


Greetings from Christopher
15th March 2014

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting the lovely pictures of the fascinating trees and plants of the area. I have never seen some of these before and it is interesting to see the few I do know in their natural growth pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete