WINTERY BRANCHES

The theme at the class I attended this week was 'Winter Branches'. In Melbourne over the last few weeks the exotic, northern-hemisphere deciduous trees have lost their leaves, and the streets and gardens where they are planted have developed a wintery aspect. This is not the case in our garden which is predominately planted with native species. However, I had recently pruned the apricot tree which provided me with some suitable branches for the exercise.


I arranged the branches in a freestanding manner in the class and added a red camellia as a focal contrast. Because I wanted to re-work the arrangement on a narrow shelf at home I did not prune the branches in the class. So, in the photo above, the centre of the arrangement is too cluttered.


The narrow shelf at home occupies a corner at the end of a corridor.


Once I started to set the branches up I realised the space was indeed too narrow and I needed to reconfigure them for this space.


The camellia did not survive the journey home. So, when I was satisfied with the branches I added some Japanese flowering quince Chaenomele * which has just started to flower in our garden.

Greetings from Christopher
4th July 2015

(Happy Independence Day to Michael and Mike, Gail and my other readers from the USA) 

The ceramic vessel I used last week is by Nadine Spalter * .

* Click on the blue text for further information

1 comment:

  1. Dear Christopher, love your free standing arrangements esp with the camellia. Did a similar one with Kawana Sensei last weekend in Boston. Was a very interesting day of classes. Thanks for the good wishes. Best to you both. - Michael

    ReplyDelete