HAIKU

On Tuesday this week I attended the monthly meeting of Ikebana International Melbourne. 

We had an interesting guest speaker, Dr Hironobu Kitaoji, Director of Japan Seminar House, who spoke about haiku - Japanese short form poetry. He made some very interesting points about haiku, including some parallels with ikebana

The traditional pattern for haiku is that the poem has two connected ideas expressed in three lines of: 5 syllables, then 7 syllables, then 5 syllables. When haiku poems, written in Japanese, are translated into English the original word order is almost always lost even if a 5-7-5 syllable structure is retained.

At the meeting members were invited to create an ikebana arrangement to express their favourite haiku. After searching the web I came across the following haiku that put me in mind of a hot summer day on the beach:

'I walk across sand
And find myself blistering 
In the hot, dry heat.'



To try to capture this feeling I have used driftwood, spinifex longifolius * and orange-yellow alstroemeria. I used the same shino-glazed bowl I used last week by Elena Renka*  

There is more information and photos on the I.I. Melbourne blog. You will find these at: I.I.November meeting * (10th Nov 2015). 


I would also like to draw your attention to the launch of I.I. Melbourne Chapter's new website. The address is: www.ikebanainternationalmelbourne.com *

Greetings from Christopher
15th November 2015

* Click on the blue text for further information



No comments:

Post a Comment