SOGETSU WORKSHOPS CONTINUED

This morning, Sunday, we had a walk in the Royal Melbourne Botanic Gardens.



This is a corner of the ornamental lake from the Northern lawn.


Conifers by the path through the Hopetoun lawn.

Looking down the Hopetoun lawn to the Rose Pavilion.



This patch of iris in the Asian collection was eye catching.

*          *          *          *          *
Last week I discussed the Saturday workshops lead by Yoshiro Umemura for the Victorian Branch of the Sogetsu School of Ikebana. Now for the Sunday workshops. The first of these was on the theme of 'complementing a work of art'. Mr Umemura pointed out that the ikebana and the art work should be in conversation with each other. I found this particularly interesting. Previously when I had done this exercise I think my focus was on re-interpreting the art work with botanical materials. This new sense of engagement with the art work was a much more interesting perspective to take on the exercise.


My art object is a ceramic sculpture by Graeme Wilkie in the form of a stylised female  figure. I have used the leaves of a sedge, lepidosperma gladiatum to create open loops in which the figure is nestled or perhaps from which it is emerging. I was pleased with the sense of movement this brought to the sculpture.

The second theme was, 'using various locations'. In this exercise it is important to integrate the ikebana with the specific location.


I chose an unused door. Again using the sedge leaves, I wedged them between the door and its frame to create a geometric design. I then added some dried flower-heads of agapanthus to create a focal point with a contrasting colour.


Lara Telford has a couple of new posts on her blog from Tokyo so scroll down to her previous post. Lara has also provided a link to a photo gallery of an exhibition by Kosa Nishiyama

Greetings from Christopher
29th October 2017


No comments:

Post a Comment