MASSES OF FLOWERS


Spring is such a time of floral abundance one cannot help but feel uplifted.


This large mass of foxgloves and other annuals were in a flower box outside the Melbourne Town Hall on Monday last week. They were in place for the parade before the famous Melbourne Cup horse race. The race was the following day and, sadly, there were massively heavy rains that morning which left the foxgloves lying horizontally in the flower box.


In our garden the neighbour's climbing rose has cascaded through the fence. Because of the angle of the fence there is more sun on our side and therefore the blooms face into our garden.



In a bed I planted two years ago, are these other exotic flowers which I grew specifically to use when demonstrating the basic Sogetsu exercises to students. They have the advantages of being long-flowering, prolific and having straight stems.


On a recent walk I noticed some Everlasting Daisies, a native helichrysum flower, on the clifftop heath.
 

These Everlasting Daisies cephalum apiculatum, were planted in our garden two seasons ago. This is their best year so far. I am hoping they will spread further.


At this time of year the melaleucas are also in bloom. This one is melaleuca armillaris that I referred to last week as being the source of my short sticks for making the small sculpture.


And here is the eye-catching red callistemon, closely related to the melaleucas. Apparently, some experts think they should be in the same genus. We have a couple of red callistemons in the garden.


I have used flowers from our garden for this arrangement in a blue ceramic trough. I wanted to mass the flowers to emphasise their intense red, so I stripped off all of the leaves. This left me with some interesting lines to then contrast with the mass.

Greetings from Christopher
10th November 2018


No comments:

Post a Comment