FROM THE WORKSHOPS


Today I am continuing last week's subject, being the Sogetsu Victoria Branch workshops that were presented last weekend by Mr Umemura from Sydney. 

The Saturday workshops were less controversial than the one I reported on last week. However, they were more challenging. One of the exercises prevented the participants from making any preparations. We were all asked to bring a vessel and some materials for an arrangement, which were then separated. Participants were allocated a vessel by drawing lots and then allocated materials, also by drawing lots. We were not permitted to keep materials that were brought with the vessel. 

I was allocated a unique small handmade vessel by Kuninori Shimbo, with a rich glaze in brown tones. I think it may be a tenmoku glaze. The vessel is triangular in cross-section and about 20cm on its long side. It was designed so that it could be stood on one of its ends and had two openings. I was given a large variety of materials. However, because of the strong design of the vessel and its darkish colour, I decided to limit the materials I used.


This is my completed ikebana. I stripped the leaves from two stems of Leucadendron and added two clusters of red berries. The leucadendron provided lines that contrasted against the surface of the vessel while the berries provided a bright focus.

The other exercise on the day was a nageire arrangement using a vertical fixture. We were to arrange materials for the subject: 'autumn breeze'. 


I think I got a little fixated on making sure my Shin (longest) line was the correct length in proportion to the vase. I had brought the straight materials on the left and the pomegranate from home, having picked them two days earlier. In looking at this now I think I am guilty of having two focal points, the pomegranate and the orange leaves. In which case the line on the left becomes distracting. 


Back at home I re-worked the arrangement and feel much more satisfied with the result. It is a simpler arrangement and stronger for that simplicity.

Click here for more workshop photos.

Greetings from Christopher
1st June 2019


No comments:

Post a Comment