HIGH TIDE and BLUE SEAS


West of Torquay there are high cliffs where the beach is only accessible at low tide. In the finer weather a few days ago, Laurie and I went for a walk along the cliff path towards Bell's Beach. 



The tide was high at the time, as you can see from this photo taken looking back towards Torquay in the distance. 


The Great Ocean Road Committee, which is responsible for environmental protection and the infrastructure of the 37 kilometres of crown land between Torquay and Lorne, has recently created this viewing platform. The sculptured seal is actually a seat. This elevated position is 40-50 metres above the sea.



Until recently at this point, access to the beach was via some unstable old wooden steps. Now they have been replaced by sturdier metal ones. 



This photo shows clearly that the 'beach' is not accessible at high tide.

Last week at my Geelong class I set the advanced students the exercise of making an arrangement using 'closely related colours'. In the past there has been much discussion among Victorian Sogetsu Branch members about the description 'Colours in the Same Tonal Range'. The exercise is about using three or more colours that are adjacent on the colour wheel and none from the opposite side.



Maureen has used shades of red through orange to yellow. For the purposes of this exercise, when stems and leaves are visible, green is not a colour!



Ellie decided to use two vessels and has used reds and pinks. The red lacquer on the tall vase is echoed by the intense red of the partially hidden carnations at the back of the suiban.


Maree's exercise was a slanting variation in which she used eucalyptus branches and a focus of yellow roses.


Tess made her first free-standing 'no kenzan' arrangement with irises from her own garden making the intense blue focus.

After publishing my post last week I discovered that I had failed to include one of the arrangements I had made in Emily's workshop.



Here it is, using a squat round glass vessel. In it I arranged one of the Gymea leaves and the stem of oriental lilies. I placed the lily flowers at the top of the lower third of the Gymea leaf. 



When I returned home I reworked the arrangement in a ceramic vessel. 
I have shortened the longest leaf and added the second one to one third its length. This time I placed the flowers lower and to the right to create a subtle asymmetry in the arrangement. Shortening the leaves has also emphasised the colouration on the tips of the leaves.

Greetings from Christopher
15th September 2019




No comments:

Post a Comment