UNUSUAL TREES and FOLIAGE


On the 12th of January I posted some photos of a 150 year old White Oak, Quercus Alba, that had started to split and then was blown apart by a severe wind storm around Christmas-time.


I was fascinated to see nature's tenacity at work on a number of the branches that were sprouting new growth. The connection of this branch with the main lower trunk is small, but obviously sufficient for nutrients to get through.



In another botanic garden, the Geelong Botanic Gardens this time, I passed these wonderful Queensland Bottle trees Brachychiton rupestris that have been planted at the entrance to the 21st Century garden. That particular section of the garden is devoted to 'dry' garden species.



These three, which are nearby, have exaggerated bottle shapes.


I had come to the gardens especially to learn the correct name of this extraordinary bush that is native to southern South America. Because of its leaf shape, it is known as the Anchor Plant Colletia paradoxaI had used a stem of it at the demonstration that Helen Quarrell and I gave to the Friends of the Geelong Botanic Gardens and reported two weeks ago.



Here you can see the leaves silhouetted against the sky. I re-used the stem at the February meeting of Ikebana International, Melbourne Chapter. 
    

Our guest speaker was Philip Rhodes, a professional milliner who, in addition to his own salon, has extensive experience in making head-wear for theatre, ballet and opera productions in Melbourne and London. As is the usual practice, the members at the meeting made ikebana inspired by the theme of, in this case, millinery.



This is my ikebana, in which I reused the stem of Colletia Paradoxa stretching dramatically to one side and a single white chrysanthemum as a focal mass to balance the movement to the left. I have added two sheets of stainless steel mesh that partially cover the materials, and the spherical vase, in the manner of a fascinator. 

The ceramic vase is one of the first vases that I bought, some time in the early 1970's, when I was working in Adelaide. It was made by the South Australian potter Don Jones, whose work I greatly admired for its attention to detail and high quality finish.

Follow this link to other photos from the I.I. meeting.

Greetings from Christopher
22nd February 2019


2 comments:

  1. Dear Chris, what a beautiful ikebana interpretation! I've been thinking of you recently, thinking of our trips to Australia, and the visits at your house. I hope this message finds you well, and I am happy to see that you are still active on the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Brachychiton rupestris trees and the Anchor Plant are so interesting looking! Since I haven’t seen them in the US I’m guessing we may not have the correct environment for them. It looks like you might have to wear gloves to work with the anchor plant. Does it have a milky sap when cut?

    ReplyDelete