BURGUNDY, RED AND ORANGE

Following my visit last week to the tropical glass house at the Royal Melbourne Botanic Garden, I returned on Sunday morning to find that the Titan Arum, having opened on Friday afternoon, had started to close by Sunday morning. Below are two photos I took in which you can see the remarkable, burgundy coloured, interior of the spathe.



The Royal Melbourne Botanic Garden Facebook * page has additional images of the flower in its final stages. T
o me it looks quite tragic in its collapsed state after such a spectacular but brief flowering.


While in the gardens I came across these beautiful red Blood Lilies (haemanthus coccineus * ), natives of South Africa. 


You can imagine my surprise to find my neighbour had this collection of pots of Blood Lilies on her garden wall. Being a generous person she gave me a plant and below is close-up photo of its flower.

  

To return to my previous theme of environmental sculpture. The site of the next photo is Fisherman's Beach at Torquay.     


On the beach is a derelict winch mechanism that, in the past, was used to pull larger boats out of the water. 


I have used it to create an environmental sculpture with Strelitzia flower-heads, the colour of which tonally complements the old rusty iron. 



Greetings from Christopher.
22nd March 2015

* Click on the blue text for further information







No comments:

Post a Comment