MAKING A SURFACE FROM STRAIGHT LINES



This last week we have gone from sunny autumn weather to winter. Yesterday the maximum here was 11 Celsius which to us feels pretty cold, especially when the wind and rain-showers are coming across the sea straight up from the south.  


As we went for our daily walk my attention was caught by a large number of Galahs digging up grass roots outside my childhood family home.


They know nothing of 'social distancing' and were surprisingly unfazed by my taking this photograph at relatively close range. 


The surfer in the water at the bottom of this photo had no trouble with the 'distancing' requirement being the only one in the water on the Torquay main beach. I really took the photo for the large swell with breaking waves much further out to sea.

At the beginning of the week I made a brief visit to Melbourne and had the opportunity to visit my ikebana mentor and friend, Kath.


I was delighted to see her ikebana of massed red dwarf nandina domestica and two white Spathiphylium flowersThe parallel lines of the flower stems contrast interestingly with the undulating mass of the nandina. Kath had made it specifically for ANZAC Day, which was the day before my visit. 

Meanwhile back in 'isolation' at Torquay I spent some time making a lattice frame to support the longer stems of the Umbrella Grass cyperus alternifolius in the conservatory, which were hanging over adjacent plants and the deck. The process necessitated cutting out a lot of stems which I then used to make this week's ikebana.


I have created a strong, angular design of massed lines arising from the curves of a ceramic bowl. Contrasting with the straight lines are two masses of bright pink geranium flowers. The bowl is by Graeme Wilkie of Qdos gallery.



Here is the ikebana on a shelf in the entrance of our house.


The inspiration I had in mind as my starting point was this photo, above, from the old Sogetsu text book that I used in the early 2000s.The exercise it illustrates is making a 'surface made by the massing of lines'. This image is one of my all-time favourite examples of Sogetsu ikebana. It is so strong I find it easy to recall to my mind's eye and it does not loose its impact with the passage of time.

Greetings from Christopher
3rd May 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment