CHRISTMAS 2020

  
It is the day after Boxing Day as I write this, and Christmas Day has been and gone for 2020. Before next weekend arrives we will be in 2021. I would like to wish you a happy, healthy and safe New Year. My wish is also for better things for the whole world. From the perspective of Australia, we look with concern at the circumstances of much of the rest of the world, particularly with regard to the Covid-19 pandemic.

This year I made a Christmas tree that looks rather Baroque. I had some large Monstera Deliciosa leaves drying in the garage which had developed some interesting curving lines and I realised that they would be large enough to cover my wire-mesh cone. Because they did not sit perfectly on the surface I added some red and gold baubles both underneath and outside the leaves. I first undercoated the leaves with some red lacquer spray, some of which I left showing on the tips when I added the top coat of gold.


Elsewhere I re-used the gold-sprayed Marguerite Daisy, Argyranthemum frutescens, branches for a more minimal, ikebana-inspired, small Christmas tree shape. In both cases I have used a dried Agapanthus flower-head to represent the star at the top of the tree.

The photographs in last week's posting, of the fallen White Oak, Quercus alba, in the Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne were all taken through chain mesh fencing. This week I have been able to get up close as the fence has now been removed. Below are a number of images showing details of the carving and interlocking of some branches.


This first photo is of the decorative carving of the root buttresses of the trunk...


...and this is the top of the trunk, revealing why it collapsed.


Here two branches are joined end to end to make a seat, using the largest 'Dovetail joint' I have ever seen. 


This joint looks more playful...



...given that the pieces cannot move.



And the same is true here.



The seats were quite comfortable as we discovered on our Christmas morning walk.


Laurie was testing out the king-sized seat.


Later in the day the area was proving very attractive to children of all ages.

On Christmas Eve I visited a longstanding Sogetsu Branch member, friend and mentor, Kath Dacy. When I arrived she was surrounded by Christmas gifts of flowers and wondering where to start.


After some consideration she settled on a bright yellow Kangaroo paw, Anigozanthos pulcherrimus (?) and a green spider Chrysanthemum. Kath placed the Kangaroo paw at a strong slant to the left, with a forward movement. She then arranged the three Chrysanthemum flowers in a scalene triangle providing a counterbalancing movement to the principal line. It was a delight to see her strong ikebana arranged so deftly. *


My two leaf, two flower Ikebana took much more fussing to create. Two Arum lily leaves, one just peeping above the rim of the vessel and two Alstroemeria psittacinaThis was my contribution for the Christmas lunch gathering at our place. We were joined by some of Laurie's siblings and one of his nephews. 

The porcelain vessel is by the Victorian ceramic artist Alistair Whyte.


Greetings from Christopher 
27th December 2020


* I apologise for the poor quality of the photo of Kath's ikebana. The light level was low and I used my elderly mobile phone's camera.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update on the fallen White Oak in the Royal Botanic Gardens. I love the pictures and am glad to see this area looks as if it will be a major attraction and a wonderful way to give the tree a new life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Christopher,
    Christmas arrangements are very creative.

    Love your showing the tree's use as a resting place. Laurie certainly looked comfortable with his feet up!

    Your arrangement for Christmas lunch is stunning.

    Happy New Year to you both, Michael

    ReplyDelete