HANADAYORI


Earlier in the week the weather was very warm with a couple of days in the mid-twenties. Beautiful spring weather with only a little breeze. The mild weather enabled me to finish the retaining wall repair which I mentioned in last weeks post.


I am pleased to report that the project was completed without any further damage to my wardrobe or person. (Thank you for your messages of sympathy and mirth.)


I am particularly pleased with the result as I now have a flat space for a small number of potted plants on the brick surface. The pot in the photo above has Haemanthus coccineus, which is recovering well from being divided a couple of seasons ago.

As the weather continued sunny and warm we took the opportunity to have a walk in the Iron Bark Basin reserve.


Being still under Covid restrictions, mask wearing when outdoors is still a requirement.


We were both surprised to see this Scarlet Robin. Although these small birds live in woodland 
such as Iron Bark Basin, it is a long time since we have caught sight of one. In the photo above the robin is looking to the right and its beak is just noticeable against the branch behind.


In this photo the bird is looking straight at the camera and you can see the white patch above its beak.


Two weeks ago I gave a recipe for the preservation of materials at the bottom of the posting. These are the same Acanthus leaves (over two weeks old) with a mass of Golden Wattle, Acacia pycnanthaadded to the vase. I picked the wattle five days ago and gave it the same treatment. It has also had the advantage of being in a cool space.

Recently I offered to make and photograph an ikebana in response to a request posted to the Hanadayori online exhibition. Members of the public were invited to request ikebana, with no parameters set. 'Andrea' requested an ikebana based on an anime character, Gojo Satoru, and that the colours used should be black, white and blue. In my research I discovered that "...Gojo Satoru is a special grade jujutsu sorcerer..." with astonishing powers.


He seems to be able to fly at great speed and attack 'the baddies' with curses that defeat them.


This was my first ikebana response to the request. I created an inverted wire mesh cone that stands on its apex to which I have added black lines to express movement at speed. White Chrysanthemums suggest his hair. Blue Rosemary and Sea Holly for the colour of his eyes and his clothing that sometimes seems to be blue. 


I made this second more conventional ikebana based on the same ideas a few days after the first, when I was able to purchase some blue irises from the florist. 

I really enjoyed this challenge of ikebana by request and encourage you to now to view online: "The flowers you have been waiting for are here".

Congratulations to the Wa Ikebana committee and the participants in the project.

Greetings from Christopher
4th September 2021






No comments:

Post a Comment