RED-HOT POKER


While walking in the Iron Bark Basin a couple of days ago...

...who should we meet but a cousin of "Spike". I was tempted to label this photo "Masked man and Echidna". As you can see we are still observing Covid Safe protocols.

I recently visited my "Covid-singles-bubble" friend and former work colleague, Shirley, who is preparing to 'down size' into a smaller home. Shirley is a keen gardener, which is an interest we shared from the beginning of our acquaintance. The
 Forsythia that I photographed last week was a gift from her. As I was leaving her house Shirley kindly gave me a hand-made ceramic vase by one of the Teasdale potters. I have not been able to positively identify the potter other than to note the stamp on the base says "Lina". 


This is an ikebana I made for Shirley using her vase, the Forsythia and two Acanthus leaves. I was surprised at just how well the contrasting botanical elements worked in this simple ikebana.

A few weeks ago I noticed a Knipholia with a really interesting curve in its stem that I thought would make an interesting ikebana subject. The small plant had only one flowering stem and the leaves on this particular variety are rather weak. So, rather than pick the leaves I used some Coastal Sword Sedge, Lepidosperma gladiatum, leaves which are firmer and better lasting.


The stem has been placed against the side of the vase using a forked-branch cross-bar fixture, so that its line continues that of the vase's profile.


I placed three leaves on the underside of the stem so that the line was not interrupted, and looped them back into the vase. This looked a little unbalanced and a little too contrived for my taste so I added a single leaf on the righthand side with a curve in the opposite direction to correct the balance. 


This is the completed ikebana. I was pleased with the strength of the design and the harmony of the materials with the vase by Graeme Wilkie. I am reminded of two ikebana lessons that I had been taught in the past. Firstly, when repeating shapes, the loops in this case, they should be of different sizes to maintain the asymmetry of the design. Secondly, when using strappy leaves they will have more impact when placed so that the surface shows rather than their edge.

Greetings from Christopher
10th October 2021



 

1 comment:

  1. I like your arrangement and step by step photo montage for the process of creating it using the Knipholia flower.

    ReplyDelete