ORIENTAL LILY


Last week I posted two photos of ikebana works created by my friend Michael. Here is one more that he had sent at the same time.

It took me a few moments to realise the context of this ikebana by Michael. His previous photos, which I showed on last weeks posting, were of the exercise "Complementing a work of Art". However, this ikebana is of a different exercise. It is an ikebana showing "Colours in Contrast". The vivid blue of the painted dried material and the vase are opposite on the colour wheel to the orange of the flowers and the Fire Croton, Codiaeum variegatum leaves which are snuggling on the right rim of the vase. The simplicity of the design and the use of only two contrasting colours make this a striking ikebana.

At the beginning of December I participated in the "Sogetsu Awakening" on-line exhibition by the Sogetsu School Branch of New South Wales, to belatedly celebrate its 60th anniversary. The link above will take you to the page which shows a video of the exhibits. If you scroll below the video you will see the individual photos and artists statements where you can study each image at leisure. My contribution was an ikebana of three Banksia flowers and leaves in a black lacquer-ware vase which I posted on this blog on 12th December. 


After the exhibition I re-worked the materials in a vase by the Canadian Potter
Janet Keefe.


This time I added three stems of Coastal Sword Sedge, Lepidosperma gladiatum, giving this new ikebana a sinuous rising movement. 

When I was thinking about the Sogetsu Awakening exhibition, I remembered an ikebana I created in 2010 that I would have liked to re-create. However, I was extremely busy with the renovation of our conservatory at the time and could not source appropriate material.



Here is the ikebana that I made and photographed in 2010, that I think suits the theme of Sogetsu Awakening.  The materials are Tree Philodendron, Thaumatophyllum bipinnatifidium, and Oriental Lily. Ceramic bowl by the Victorian ceramic artist Petrus Spronk.


Greetings from Christopher
15th January 2021
(Happy birthday Laurie (and wedding anniversary))
 

No comments:

Post a Comment