AUTUMNAL HYDRANGEA


After leaving the southern highlands of New South Wales last Sunday we travelled to Sydney for three nights. We caught up with one of my cousins, with Laurie's sister and brother-in-law, and with Inge, a long-term friend of Laurie's who had worked with him in East New Britain PNG when he was there in the early 1970s. Inge had planted a grevillea outside her kitchen window that had flourished.


And is hugely appreciated by the visiting Rainbow Lorikeets.


I took these photos from the kitchen window at a distance of about four metres.

After leaving Sydney we began our journey back home, stopping overnight at Albury on the north bank of the Murray River.

In the late afternoon light the river looked serene. However, we noticed that it was flowing strongly because of the recent heavy rain in the catchment area.


We were advised by a couple not to go swimming because the water was very cold, having been released from the large Hume reservoir immediately up-stream from Albury. 


There were large flocks of Corellas, some of which I caught drinking from the river while perched on a partially submerged branch.

 
On another branch of the same tree a corella seemed to be keeping its distance from this native Australian White Ibis.

So from fauna to flora. Upon our return to Torquay I was pleased to note the pot plants had survived under the care of our neighbour Margie. 


I was also interested to see the development of some autumn colour with the coming of cooler night-time temperatures. These leaves are from one of the Hydrangeas that have finished flowering. 


However, before going away I had been keeping my eye on this Hydrangea whose flower has become an amazingly luminous pink. I was hoping it would survive while we were away so that I could use it as an ikebana subject.



I have set a single stem of Hydrangea in a spherical ceramic vase and contrasted the soft floral material with a small Birchwood sculpture I made some time ago.

The vase was made by the Adelaide ceramic artist Don Jones.

Greetings from Christopher
17th April 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment