OUT AND ABOUT IKEBANA


Sorry this posting is a little late and will be brief. The last month and a half have been very busy with the annual exhibitions of I.I. Melbourne and the Sogetsu Branch two weeks apart. On the weekend in between I presented an introductory workshop and last week I gave a demonstration for the members of an enthusiastic Gardening group.

This photo is the only one from that demonstration which is clear enough to show my intention at the time. Some of the materials I used came from my hosts vegetable garden. This is a single leaf of Kale and a stem of Borage placed under water in a glass cylinder. I wanted to show the silvery effect of the leaf's water repellant surface. The Borage flower arranged itself perfectly.


Another task was to set some ikebana for an open day for the U3A in Torquay. Also a situation where the busy background made photography unsatisfactory. So I re-set the the ikebana when I got home. I used a very interesting piece of driftwood with some Banksia in a suiban made by the New Zealand ceramic artist Elena Renka. This is how I configured it in the living room niche.


This is how it was set on a table in the middle of a room for the open day. An example of extending the ikebana into the space that surrounds the vessel.


Today (tonight actually) I am writing this in a hotel room in Tokyo where I noticed to my delight a waning, but full-looking moon. It was at full two days ago. Laurie and I are beginning an "Art, Architecture and History Tour' in Honshu tomorrow. I hope I will have some interesting photos to share with you over the next few weeks.

Greetings from Christopher
 9.45 pm, Tuesday 30th October

No comments:

Post a Comment