SOME EUCALYPTUS BARK


A few nights ago, as we were having our dinner in the conservatory, Laurie drew my attention to the shaft of late afternoon sunlight that was backlighting a Canna 'Phasion' leaf. This leaf is finely striped in red, yellow and bronze lines.  Who needs stained glass? Of course it was only a chance effect, which makes it all the more delightful.


Also this week, I was surprised that one of the buds on a Phalaenopsis orchid opened. I had bought the plant on a whim last year toward the end of its flowering season.


I really don't know much about these rather exotic orchids. However, when the flowers finally died I was fortunate to be advised by a friend that I should not prune off the old flower spike. A new spike branched off the previous one.


Now there are two open flowers and five more buds on the stem.

A week ago I noticed that the Bursaria spinosa in the garden was coming toward the end of its flowering.


I thought the small white flowers would go well in the new vase from the Kutani Kosen Kiln in Kanazawa. A simple line and mass ikebana.

Earlier in the week while walking along the creek path I came across some Eucalyptus bark. It had evidently come off a smallish branch and retained its cylindrical form. The inside was a warm soft orange colour while the outside was pale grey. The contrast between the inner and outer surfaces looked like an interesting ikebana subject.


This is the first version I made adding the fresh green of some more Bursaria. The flowers were not as green as in the photo. Unfortunately, I could not correct the colour. The Chun-glazed vase is by the Castlemaine ceramic artist Barry Singleton
I was not particularly happy with the ikebana as the interior of the bark did not show well.


This is my re-working of the idea in a vessel by the ceramic artist Graeme Wilkie of Qdos gallery, Lorne. I think it works a little bit better with the harmonising colours of the Crasula arborescens flowers. I also was able to re-position the bark to show the inside a bit more. I will keep my eyes open for some more bark to show the lovely interior colour. It has such a rich warm colour and soft texture which I find very attractive.

Greetings from Christopher
4th February 2024
 

No comments:

Post a Comment