Early after breakfast a week ago I took this photo at Rocky Point between the Torquay Surf Beach and Jan Juc Beach. The weather was a warm and the early morning light seemed to enrich the colours.

Speaking of which...

...the colour of this Camellia bud really caught my eye this morning. I was a little surprised to see this sign of the change of season. The extended period of unusually dry warm weather had deceived me into thinking that summer still prevailed.

The final term-one class for my U3A students in Torquay was held at my home. Creating ikebana in a domestic environment leads to a number of challenges. The ikebana needs to relate to its particular environment. The students brought their own materials. I had set them the exercise of making a freestyle ikebana using two materials only. To this I added a small challenge. After walking the students around the garden I asked them to add one element from the garden to their ikebana. Most of the students chose one of my vessels for their ikebana.

Lyn brought two heart-shaped leaves and two stems of Dutch Iris Iris x hollandica. Her third material from the garden is the tallest line, Strelitzia juncea.

Annie used Dietes leaves with Geranium leaves at the base.  Her third material is the Goldenrod Solidago canadensis arranged in her own vase that she was keen to try out.

John used Arum lily Zantedeschia aethiopica and Canna leaves to which he added a deep red Hydrangea as his third material.

Norma used a Cycad leaf and a flowering stem of Crepe Myrtle Largerstroemia. Her third material is the single line of Strelitzia juncea.

Coralie used an unidentified Western Australian Ragodia. Her second material is the "unconventional material" bronze-tinted wire coil. The third material is a small stem of Rosemary Salvia rosemarinus.

Marta used a branch of Maple Acer and stem of Duranta erecta. The third material is the single Strelitzia juncea stem.

My ikebana this week comes as the result of receiving a surprise "thank you" gift of flowers from a friend.

The bunch of flowers included these richly orange-coloured Asiatic lilies. I felt the size and colour of the flowers required a largish vase and that the accompanying line material be suitably strong. As I walked around the garden I noticed this drying leaf from the Strelitzia nicolai. Its tan colour seemed to be a good fit. The dried leaf was quite heavy so I have secured it onto a cross bar to stop it from rotating forward.

 The vase is by Mark Bell from Maine USA

Greetings from Christopher
31st March 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment