AUSTRALIAN NATIVE MATERIALS

 

Last week I posted a photo of my contribution to the Ikebana International Exhibition at the Labassa Mansion in Melbourne. Earlier this week I was delighted to receive a photo of my work by my colleague Lei Wang. Lei made good use of the Covid lockdowns by completing a photography course on-line. 



The knowledge and skills she has gained since then are evident in this beautiful image that shows the context of the ikebana. 

*          *          *          *          *

The Consul-General of Japan for Victoria, South  Australia and Tasmania and his wife are joint patrons of Ikebana International Melbourne Chapter. On a rotating basis, for special occasions, the five Ikebana Schools in Melbourne are called on to provide Ikebana in the Consul-General’s residence. A few weeks ago I was advised that it was the turn of the Sogetsu School. The event was a reception to mark the end of the term of office and pending departure later this year of the current Consul-General, Mr Shimada. 


I had the privilege of making an Omukaebana, a welcoming ikebana, for the reception. In my planning preparation I thought it would be appropriate to create an Ikebana using only Australian native materials to express the unique beauty of our flora.


My starting point was a solid piece of
Moonah Melaleuca lanceolata driftwood. This interesting branch has three principal twisting lines that radiate in different directions. It is quite a heavy piece so I needed to choose a fairly large and solid vessel. 


I chose this wood-fired vessel and was delighted to discover that the branch had a small side stem that allowed it to sit very securely in the mouth of the vessel without the need for additional fixing. The ceramicist is Ian Jones of Old St Luke's Studio.



The other materials are, on the left side, Banksia praemorsa from the garden of my ikebana friends Rosemary and David. And on the centre right a striking pink Waratah Telopea speciosissima. I assume it to be a new hybrid. The petal-like bracts that surround the small inflorescence are quite long and loose looking. They made a good textural contrast to the strength and denseness of the Banksias.


I was assisted in this exercise by my colleague Susan.


Greetings from Christopher

22nd September 2024


 

1 comment: