FRANKLIN HOUSE EXHIBITION


In my Geelong class...


... Anne's exercise was to make a horizontal ikebana arrangement. She used two large leaves of Bird's nest fernAsplenium nidus, placed stretching to each side. Then yellow Ranunculus flowers were added amid a central mass of curved Dietes leaves.

The senior students' exercise was to make an ikebana with disassembled and re-arranged materials.


Maureen used Strelitzia leaves, which she cut into shapes that changed their appearance. She added a single flower and bud. The small footed suiban with horizontal ribbing contrasted with the upward movement of the ikebana.


Christine used the roots, stems and leaf tips from an epiphytic Orchid. She cut the leaves so that they appear to be wrapped around the vessel. The cut ends of the stems are protruding through a hole in the back wall of the vessel, while the roots project up and forward from within the vessel.


Ellie used Balloon plant Gomphocarpus physocarpus, for her material. She has arranged a single inverted stem at a dramatic angle with one follicle attached. Two other follicles are placed on top of one of the vessel's openings. A small number of narrow leaves have been folded and inserted into another of the openings
toward the back.


Maree used an unidentified Banksia flower, which she cut to show a cross-section through the middle of the flower spike. Several sections were then placed underwater in a box-shaped glass vase. She then set a stem, stripped of leaves and flowers, horizontally across the vessel and aligned with another section of stem in a second, smaller glass vessel.


Jo stripped Ornamental kale Brassica oleracea, into its constituent elements of leaves and stems. The new arrangement uses the stems to elevate one, of the two colour-matched vessels, above the other. Although there is water in each of the vessels two small leaves are placed on the table surface.

Earlier this week, I joined Eleanor Button and other Victorian Sogetsu Branch members for a series of events in Launceston, Tasmania. The events were in conjunction with the third annual  exhibition being held this week at Franklin House. The house is a National Trust property that was built in 1838 at Youngtown on the southern outskirts of Launceston. 


The first public event I participated in was held in the entrance foyer of the Cumulus Studio at the University of Tasmania Inveresk Campus. I decided, as I did last year, to make a "found object" sculpture with the very colourfully upholstered, steel- framed chairs. This time I wanted to make the structure a bit narrower than in the previous year. I was assisted by Eleanor who found two bright yellow wooden stools that we added to the structure. We also added 6 strongly-coloured vegetables to contrast with the manufactured fabrics of the chairs.


In Franklin House I made a late winter ikebana in a 
large hand-made ceramic vessel which I borrowed. I used a bare branch from an unidentified deciduous tree as well as fresh material including Camellia and a Cypress branch. The bare branch was visually balanced by the smaller curving branch of Cypress. The two stems of white flowering Camellia reached both forward and to the back. In fact, the ikebana was able to be viewed from all around, as it was on a table in the middle of the room.

Greetings from Christopher
6th September 2026.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment